Saturday, March 27, 2010

Final Gift Shopping in Moscow — Russia 2010 - Day 29



Today I made my way back out to Izmailovsky Market to get some gifts for special people back home. Every time you visit this place, you see something new. It was interesting to see the huge metal head of Lenin that was for sale at one booth. t reminds me of one of the places I still want to visit in Moscow, the "Fallen Monument Park" which has many statues from Soviet times, including many Stalin and Lenin statues. My interest is purely from a historical standpoint as I know both of these were tyrants that did more damage than good (many lives were lost for no reason during their times).

I had a plate of Shashlik (actually half as I brought some back to the Hostel in a doggie bag)... they are great at cooking it there. After lunch, I made my way over to some booths that sell Gzhel products as this is what I decided to bring as gifts this year, since my friend Igor and Elena gave Olga and I a Gzhel tea set the other night. See my posting below from a couple of days ago where I discussed Gzhel. It is nice having something hand made in Russia (blue porcelain products) like this and not junk made on an assembly line in China.

On the way back home, I shot a few pictures of some scenes of the beauty of the Metro system again as I am always so impressed with the beauty several hundred feet below Moscow. I thought I would provide a couple of interesting points on the Metro system. The Metro transports over 9 million people each day. The tracks of the Metros in Moscow add up to more than 190 miles in length, and more than 4,000 trains in service. The trains arrive at the Metro stations every three minutes, on average.

No comments:

Post a Comment