This coming Monday is a very highly celebrated holiday in Russia, International Women’s Day. Men all across Russia celebrate the women in their lives and honor them with flowers, candy, and many other gifts. The men in my class decided to honor their classmates by bringing in a cake and other treats during lunch. I brought a couple of Clemson gifts for Galya and Julia too.
After the students completed their afternoon assignments and made some presentations, we got ready to go for a visit to Red Square and then dinner at a popular Ukrainian chain restaurant in Moscow.
Just before leaving the hostel, I noticed it had begun to snow real hard for several minutes. I was nervous this would make the walking conditions difficult once we arrived at Red Square. After our 20 minute metro ride to the city center, I was happy to notice that the layer of snow provided some traction on what would normally be very slick, wet cobblestones in Red Square. As we made our way into Red Square, I quickly heard the Russian Orthodox church choir singing over in Kazan Cathedral, which is really beautiful. I took some video footage that I will upload of that and many other clips from this trip.
Once we made our way over to St. Basil’s Cathedral for some pictures, we cut back through the GUM (State) department store to warm up (was used for Soviet elites years ago). Eventually we made our way back to the metro so we could go over to another station that is right across the street from a wonderful restaurant, Taras Bulba Korchma. The Americans seemed to take my lead and have the Chicken Kiev. I also had a drink that is known as Kvas, a very dark, refreshing drink that is made from bread, We had a really wonderful evening and made some great memories, captured in photos, forever.
After the students completed their afternoon assignments and made some presentations, we got ready to go for a visit to Red Square and then dinner at a popular Ukrainian chain restaurant in Moscow.
Just before leaving the hostel, I noticed it had begun to snow real hard for several minutes. I was nervous this would make the walking conditions difficult once we arrived at Red Square. After our 20 minute metro ride to the city center, I was happy to notice that the layer of snow provided some traction on what would normally be very slick, wet cobblestones in Red Square. As we made our way into Red Square, I quickly heard the Russian Orthodox church choir singing over in Kazan Cathedral, which is really beautiful. I took some video footage that I will upload of that and many other clips from this trip.
Once we made our way over to St. Basil’s Cathedral for some pictures, we cut back through the GUM (State) department store to warm up (was used for Soviet elites years ago). Eventually we made our way back to the metro so we could go over to another station that is right across the street from a wonderful restaurant, Taras Bulba Korchma. The Americans seemed to take my lead and have the Chicken Kiev. I also had a drink that is known as Kvas, a very dark, refreshing drink that is made from bread, We had a really wonderful evening and made some great memories, captured in photos, forever.
A View of Kazan Cathedral on Red Square
Meet Guillaume and Michael from France
People skating on Red Square
Guillaume and Michael Discuss GUM Department Store
A Brief Clip About Lenin's Mausoleum
No comments:
Post a Comment