Sunday, March 7, 2010

Russia 2010 — Day 8 - Zavtrak (breakfast)


When my Mom (Lucille) came with me to Russia two years ago, she fell in love with a cheese spread with tiny pieces of ham that Lyudmila (mother-in-law) gave her to put on toast. Since that time, Mom has spoken about this spread several times and wishes she could find something like it in the US. It is sort of like a real soft/cheesy cream cheese with ham -- please let me know if you have seen something like this in the US.

When Lyudmila came to bring me some food last week, she brought me some of this cheese to put on my toast and since then I have found another maker of it here in Moscow. Now I wish Mom was here to enjoy it.

Each morning I make toast (with a toaster Lyudmila gave me last year) and this has become pat of my breakfast ritual. You will not easily find sliced white bread here, so I just buy a loaf of white bread and slice it myself, which is even better. The white bread here is similar
to the Chicago Italian bread that Olga buys at Publix in the US... not sweet and gummy like most American white bread.

Along with a cup of the wonderful Russian yogurt and some Nescafe coffee (the bad part), I have my energy needs met for the beginning of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment