A Slice of the Beautiful Moscow Metro Station — Today I decided to immerse myself into Russian life and take a metro/bus route to a shopping complex that has a huge “Wal-Mart” type store that is based in France, named “Auchan” and also the famous “Ikea.” I thought it would be interesting to share some pictures from some of the Russian Metro stations that I passed through to get to this location.
- Remember the “father of the periodic table” from high school chemistry? As avid scientists, the Russians named one of their Metro stations (Mendeleyevskaya) after Dmitri Ivanovich Mendeleev and the lamps throughout the station are in the forms of molecules. See pictures 1-7 in the slideshow.
- Newspaper boxes between Metro exchange lines with a wealth of Russian newspapers (a far cry from just Pravda, as would have been the case 25 years ago)
- The Mendeleyevskaya Metro stop is on the ring around the city and I needed to get to the “green line” so I changed stations at this stop and entered the Novoslobodskaya Metro station which has 32 BEAUTIFUL stained glass panels, each surrounded by brass frames. See pictures 9-13.
- Just one metro stop over on the brown line and I was at the Belorusskaya station and in the ceiling are 12 different octagonal panels in the ceiling that were painted to represent Belarusian life. See pictures 14-15.
- The last two pictures are from the other Belorusskaya station (after transferring – yes, both are named the same, just on different “lines”). The “Belarusian Partisans” statue and brass lamps are seen in pictures 16-17.
This is just a TINY sample of how beautiful the metro system is in Moscow. It truly is a pleasure to travel on these as almost each time you exit the metro car, you are surrounded by a wealth of eye candy.
No comments:
Post a Comment