This afternoon I wanted to take a break from all of the planning for class in the hostel and get out to see a few sites. I remembered a monastery that my good friends Igor and Kyra took me to see a few years ago. Isaac, Guillaume and Michael joined me in the Metro trip that is a straight shot through Moscow on the gray line (our Metro route) to a station named Tulskaya. It only took about a 5 minute walk over to the Holy Danilov Monastery. This monastery was founded in the late 13th century and has functioned as the headquarters of the Russian Orthodox Church for many years.
There are many opportunities to take beautiful pictures inside of the monastery. If you have time and want to read more about Danilov Monastery, visit this Wikipedia page. I believe that my 3 students that joined me had a good time seeing another great location in Moscow. Almost right across the street from the monastery is a huge toy store so we stopped in for a minute. I really liked this one the last time I visited as it has a play area inside for parents to take their children into and "sample" some of the toys. I was careful not to shoot a picture of that since I did not want to look improper... but I did get some shots of Guillaume playing in the aisles.
After our visit, Isaac and I went up a couple of Metro stations north of our stop to get a little "American" food, which is really popular here in Russia (McDonalds). Below are a couple of videos from today too. Enjoy!
A Small "Chapel" en-route to Danilov Monastery from the Metro Station, Tulskaya
A 360 View Inside of Danilov Monastery
No comments:
Post a Comment