Melting snow and rain creates a constant need to wear the waterproof hiking boots. I am really glad I have them here, but when I have to wear them and walk long distances at a fast pace (there is only one walking speed in Moscow, rapid), blisters will evolve. Unfortunately, I had to miss going to Tretyakov Gallery with one of my friends, Irina, on Sunday as I had to nurse this cruel blister.
I share this not to gross you out, but to mention how neat some of the medical treatments are in Russia. I walked across the street from my Hostel to the Apteka (Pharmacy) to see about some treatment as I have a theater performance to see on Monday night with Irina (Dead Souls by Gogol) and need to get the foot better quickly.
You can see in the pictures how most of the pharmacies are set up here. Just pick out what you need from the window and the cashier will get it for you. Need some antibiotics? Just know the name and dosage of what you need and they will sell you that too (no prescription needed).
In the past, anytime I had a cut, Olga puts the iodine from Russia on it and by the next day, all is well. The iodine here is many times the legal limit (concentration) you can buy in stores in the US. It works real well. The other item I bought is a neat Band-Aid-like cloth patch with some sort of medicine on the sticky side (maybe iodine), called Salipod (Салипод). From what I have learned, this is a real popular treatment for this situation I have. Beyond the strong medicinal smell, it seems to be working. I will bring home several of these with me... they can be cut into smaller pieces and each one costs 35 Rubles here at the Apteka in Moscow (approximately $1.20). It is so neat to learn about these different treatments in different cultures, although I would rather not have the blister.
One last note. If you leave the US for a period and want to keep up with the news, all you need is Internet access, iTunes on your laptop (free) and download Podcasts of NBC Nightly News, the Today Show and so many others, in either video or audio format... all for free! Note on the picture that I downloaded "Meet the Press" right after it aired on Sunday... now if I could have Tim Russert back..
No comments:
Post a Comment